Monday, November 23, 2009

I Don't Believe In This BMI Crap

Oh....never mind.
.
I was writing a post about BMI and even the third rewrite sounded like I was either obsessed with my weight or whinning about it. This post here says what I'd like to say...go read it...then come back.
.
Okay, did you read it...no? GO.
.
Right. See. She says it so well.
.
For me to have a BMI in the middle of the healthy range I'd have to weight 150 lbs.
.
When I was an elite athlete...IN MY 20's!...I weighed 155-160. And I rowed 6 hours a day, biked or ran another 1-2 hours. And ate everything in sight...whole cartons of Ben and Jerry's...oh...those were the days.
.
If I ever had a doctor tell me that my current BMI of 27.7 was too high...I'd tell them to go suck it.
.
Luckily I do not. My very young, very thin doctor says I'm fine.
.
And she's right.
.
But I do miss the whole cartons of Ben and Jerry's...I'm not gonna lie....

1 comment:

MUD said...

One day a young male soldier complaigned to me that females were allowed to be higher in body fat than males. I told him thank god, or we would all would look like each other. It is a little body fat that makes women softer and curvier. I don't think he accepted my explaination but I sure the heck know it is OK. My heart Doctor was about 5 foot 6 and weighed about 350 lbs. They named the local heart clinic in his memory. Did mention the pack of cigarettes he had in his pocket, right up to the time he clutched his chest and died? MUD