Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The New Ones

Today is the first day for the new novice rowers.

I'm always filled with such hope for the future of our team on the first day.
I never know who is coming, what will they add to our little family, how attached will I become...I love the kids I coach. Some I have for a short time. Some as many as four years. You spend four years with a kid, 5 days a week, travel with them, challenge them, see them succeed, see them struggle, hug, cry, laugh, tease, lead, follow...good stuff!

We tested yesterday. 2000 meters on the ergs. It had been a long time since our last test.

They amazed me. I think they amazed themselves. Haley broke 8 minutes (huge big deal for those of you who don't 'know' rowing). She was pumped. Paula was close to 8...closer than she thought she'd be. I think she was disappointed because she just missed.

Today they will help Ed and I with the novie's.

I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments: