Well...I could not blog for the next few days, lord knows I'm busy enough. But the thoughts and feelings are spinning. Filling up the nooks and crannies of my brain.
This Saturday is our Central District regatta. It's the big one, the one we start talking about in September. The kids are keyed up, nervous, excited, freaking out. Me too...
Here are some things we've learned as a team this week.
- we cannot control mother nature.
- 15 + inches of rain in Oklahoma puts a regatta there in serious jeopardy.
- mono is a crummy thing to come down with the week before your biggest race.
- there is nothing sweeter than a young girl giving up her seat in a boat so her teammate gets to race. (she did this with no prompting from me, floored me!)
- commitment and responsibility are sometime lessons learned as a group. And it can be a painful lesson.
- no matter what the out come of an important race, you need to judge your season on the accomplishments of the entire year.
- when it's hot, we can load a trailer in under 45 minutes.
- after loading said trailer it's nice to sit on the dock with your feet in the water.
And here are some things I've learned this week:
- the arrogance of some high school coaches is mind boggling.
- information gathered from a group can never be totally confidential, some of it is just too dang funny not to share.
- if you talk on a cell phone all day you end up with a cell phone imprint on your face.
- hummingbird watching is a great stress reliever (even better paired with a cold beer and a comfy chair).
- the Kansas City Rowing Foundation is apparently planning to hold a rowing camp for the Kansas City Missouri School district the first three weeks of August...news to me. (this will generate some phone calls, I'm sure)
- Shawnee Mission Ford now has a vehicle we can rent to tow our trailer...and it has a DVD player for the kids!
- when I forget to put sunscreen on I get sunburned...duh!
- at 11 years old, Rescue can still get over the fence in one leap at the first sound of thunder.
- WIN for KC rocks!
I'm hitting the road. You can check results at Powerhouse Timing.
We are entered in:
Girls Lightweight Double
Girls Novice Eight