Well there are two ways to answer that question.
Green is kinda fun. Green is much harder than I thought.
Here is a small list of my current 'green' thoughts.
- Recycling is going to be easier than I thought. The recycle place is on my way home from work and it just takes me a few minutes to put the stuff in the car when I leave for work and stop on my way home the next morning. The sorting and storage at home seem to be working as well. I am floored by the amount of paperboard (cereal boxes and the like) and paper I generate. The next step is to see if I can drastically cut the amount of crap that comes in the mail.
- Not purchasing non recyclable items is (excuse the french) a real bitch! Hanging out with Austin and Andrew seems to be the biggest challenge. Andrew knows I'm an easy mark and always needs a snack.
- I still don't get the whole 'only #1 and #2 plastic with a neck'. What is that all about...
- Cutting my energy and water use has so far been fun. Trying to see how long each day I can go with out turning on a light, using water I boiled potatoes in to water the plants. planning a clothesline for the back yard and hanging laundry in the basement (I already had this system set up from when my dryer died).
- There are paper towel issues at the station. I can't seem to figure out how to clean the bathroom here without paper towels. At home I use Clorox wipes (I know but I'm NOT giving them up). The guys are so gross...it's an issue.
- I love taking my grocery bags to the store...and watching Steve carry them back to the fire truck!
- This little project of mine has generated so many great conversations with my friends and families. Many already do a lot...some are doing more.
- I'm anxious for Farmer's Market season. I'd really like to explore eating local. I have been making my purchases at the grocery with more thought to 'where' my food is coming from.
- Not only have I not added any more crap to my overstuffed house, I have made one trip to the goodwill and have another pile ready to go tomorrow.
And on another note it's getting close to rowing season....just a little over 4 weeks until the kids start back for the spring!